Wednesday, March 19, 2008

How Stress Can Help

For the past few weeks I've been extremely stressed about many things, especially the application process to grad school. A simple "yes" or "no" from these schools would determine the immediate years of my life. I did all that I could do (studying, applying, interviewing), but waiting proved to be the hardest part. So I turned to art .
I found that I was most relaxed when in the studio creating new enameled pieces or curled up with my sketchbook. The sawing, drilling, filing, designing, and firing helped keep my mind free from worry, and put me in a relaxed state of production.

For the many hours I spent working I developed over a dozen new pieces! I'm so excited that I could turn the wretched feeling of stress and channel it into something constructive and beautiful.
Over the couple weeks I'll list 2-5 new items each day.

Hopefully others can apply this to their own lives. Art offers a great way to productively relax and relieve stress. Better yet, you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor well after the stresses fluctuate and return to normalcy!

2 comments:

Ana said...

Your work is SO beautiful! I love enamels.

erin said...

I love your designs and have been trying to decide which one to get for a few weeks now :) The birds are my faves!!!

Hope you get some good news soon!