Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Morel of the Story

This past weekend I spent some quality time with my grandparents at the Mansfield mushroom festival in Indiana. The festival welcomes the short and unpredictable hunting season of morel mushrooms; when the cold, wet Spring weather turns to sunshine.

My grandpa and I trudged through the woods in hopes of finding lots of mushrooms, but ended up after two hours, we each found ONE. At least we did not go empty handed? Meanwhile, grandma was busy looking through the handmade crafts, many of which were mushroom-inspired.
She laughed at the sight of our bounty from the great hunt. I thought it was funny too. Grandpa on the other hand was quite disappointed. He was quickly cheered up with some proper kettle corn.
The rest of the day was spent picnic-ing on the bank of the creek, touring the old mill & covered bridge, as well as attending the busy mushroom auction. Bought some mushrooms from the auction so I wouldn't go home empty-handed.






Overall, very interesting experience, but most enjoyed was the precious time spent with family on a sunny Indiana day!

No comments: